via IHS Janes
RUAG Defence has developed an enhanced version of the M109 155 mm self-propelled (SP) artillery system aimed at the export market.via RUAG Defence.
The company has already upgraded 348 Swiss Army M109sto the Pz Hb 88/95 standard, which represent the only SP artillery deployed by the Swiss Army.
Among the improvements are a modified turret and the use of locally manufactured 155 mm/47 calibre chrome plated ordnance in place of the original 155 mm/39 calibre type. This offers an extended range and has a burst rate of fire of three rounds in 15 seconds due to the installation of a flick rammer.
Fire PowerThe problem?
- Increased firing range of up to 36 km
- Increased rate of fire (burst of 3 rounds in 15 sec.)
- Increased ammunition autonomy ( 40 rounds, 64 charges)
- New electrical system (better than Mil STD 1245A)
- Higher operational readiness
- Increased mean time between failures (MTBF)
- Fault finding diagnostics with test equipment
- Navigation and positioning system integrated
- Increased mobility (gears, engine)
- Capable of day and night operations
- Effective fire suppression system installed
- NEMP und EMP protection
- Camouflage: paint and netting
The Russian and Chinese stuff still outdistance us.