For his own military policy, he outlined a number of proposals, including:Now for the bad news. He proposes to pay for it thru saving found in waste/fraud/abuse. Great idea, but no way to pay for it.
- Asking military generals to present a plan within 30 days to defeat and destroy ISIS, immediately after taking office
- Asking Congress to eliminate the defense sequester
- Building an active Army of about 540,000
- Building a Marine Corps based on 36 battalions
- Building a Navy nearing 350 surface ships and submarines
- Building an Air Force of at least 1,200 fighter aircraft
- A new "state-of-the-art" missile defense system
Even with this increase I'm conflicted. I have no confidence in the concepts being rolled out by leadership and if they got this new fountain of cash I'm not sure it would be spent properly.
Time will tell but it seems like consensus has been reached between Dems and Republicans. They both wanting defense spending to increase. We'll see if the coalition between the peace/fiscal/domestic spending hawks will hold the line or go along.